Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows 8.1  (Read 606 times)

Offline Tom

• Administrator
  • General
  • Clan Founder
    • View Profile
    • Echo-Gaming.co
Windows 8.1
« on: January 22, 2014, 11:11:55 pm »
I had some time today to mess around with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 on a virtual machine.

So far, it looks pretty slick. I still dislike the Metro UI and I feel like Microsoft is forcing a touch-screen interface onto a keyboard and mouse userbase. Supposedly, 8.1 will streamline the Windows Phone interface with the Windows OS even more, although I haven't seen too much of that.

The first thing I figured out on Windows 8 was how to hide the useless Metro and bring back the good ol' desktop. There is actually software out there that brings back the start menu. 8.1 brings back the Start "button" (it wasn't in 8), but the button merely brings you back to Metro, not to a start menu.

Besides Metro, the next thing I noticed was the new task manager. Very cool. It's almost like a morph of Resource Monitor and Task Manager, but the data is much more readable. Basically, you can now see which processes are using up your network and disk I/O along with RAM and CPU in the same window.

Other than that, I haven't played around with it that much.

Anyone out there that's running 8 or 8.1?

Quote from: John F. Kennedy
Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind.

Offline Enlyten

• [eG] Clan Member
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 06:23:46 am »
I have 8.1

I like it, it took a day of getting used to and then I didn't even notice any difference. I don't use the tiles (you never have to actually go to that page for anything), but I guess they look cool.

You're definitely right about task manager. It's a lot better now and the data is more comprehensive.

Start screen aside, I think Win8 looks a lot better. Everything is less flashy and more streamlined.