Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Island Life - Updated Installation Tutorial  (Read 816 times)

Offline Tom

• Administrator
  • General
  • Clan Founder
    • View Profile
    • Echo-Gaming.co
Island Life - Updated Installation Tutorial
« on: June 28, 2014, 12:08:23 pm »
Hey guys,

Since we've been playing this game a lot more, I figured I would make an updated tutorial so that it's easier for others to join us.

A quick synopsis of Island Life: Island Life is a role-playing game that runs on the ARMA II engine, the same that DayZ uses. It takes place in a large world with 3 different types of people: civilians, ESU (emergency services, like firemen) and BLUFOR (which is all police forces including SWAT, Coast Guard). Cops patrol and enforce traffic laws, respond to bank robberies and 911 requests and many other tasks. ESU repairs vehicles, puts out fires, and repairs bridges. Civilians can really do whatever they want. They can make money legally and illegally, commit crime, and other fun things. They can even become governor (I have a video of when Mike was governor.... terrible things happened). There are a lot of videos online of Island Life gameplay, so do a quick search to see what the game looks like.

Ok, so now to the installation process.

1. You need to purchase and install ARMA II and ARMA II Operation Arrowhead. At the time of this post, it only costs $12.49 to get them both, and they are both on sale via the Steam Summer Sale as a combo deal, where you can save a considerable amount of money by buying them both together.

Even if you don't plan on playing in the short future, you might as well grab the games while they're cheap. With ARMA II and ARMA II Operation Arrowhead you can play DayZ as well.

2. Next, we need to install the Island Life files. They're about 9.36 GB. We use a tool called Addon Sync to get the files. At this time, the download server for the files is relatively slow. To speed up the download, I have created a torrent with the files. Click here to download the torrent. Please keep seeding when we're done, or at least start seeding again if someone says on TeamSpeak that they are going to be downloading it.

Once the 7-zip archive has finished downloading, we need to put the @FFG folder into the right folder. The folder varies depending on your setup. For most, it will be
Code: [Select]
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead
I have my Steam games installed to a separate hard drive, so my path is
D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead
Simply drag the @FFG folder into your Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead folder. I used WinRAR.

When you're done, it should look like this:

Note: Ignore my @TCG and @DayZ folders - they are for some of my other ARMA II expansion packs. You don't need them for Island Life to work so just ignore them.

3. Now that we have done the speed-up step, we need Addon Sync. Click here to download Addon Sync. When it finishes downloading, install it like any other program and then open it up. Go to the "Favorite servers" tab and click on the "New server" button. Don't worry about the other text boxes - just copy and paste this into the "Auto config URL" field:

http://addonsync.fastforwardgaming.net/ffg.7z
Click the "Import server" button right next to it. Now, it should look like this:

Now, go to the "Download addons" tab. Click the "1) Check for addons" button. Then click the "2) Download addons" button. Since at the time of this post the torrent is 100% up to date, there is nothing to download and everything is ready! :) It should look like this:

You can now close Addon Sync.

4. Start "ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead" in Steam. Do NOT use the BETA version - it is buggy and will crash in-game!

When it comes up, click the "Expansions" button.

Find the @FFG one and check it.

Once again, ignore some of the Expansions that I have checked. If anything on your game is automatically checked for you, leave it that way. Just make sure that @FFG is now checked.

Click OK, then hit OK again to restart your game.

When your game comes back up, hit Multiplayer, and then hit Filter (all the way at the bottom). Make your settings look like this:

Hit OK, and then Refresh the server list. You should now see about 10 servers. The server that we play on is the one that is highlighted in the screenshot below - ([FFG] Island Life [The Port] | ffg.ts3dns.com | Stat Save).

5. In order to play on this server, you must be on their TeamSpeak. You don't have to talk, you just have to be on the server. Make sure your TeamSpeak name over there is the same as your in-game name, since a bot automatically kicks all people who aren't in TeamSpeak. I suggest that you add it as a bookmark and then use a middle-mouse click to put it in a second tab so that you can be on our TeamSpeak at the same time.

Once you're in the TeamSpeak, you can play! Remember: You can't be a BLUFOR/Cop unless you pass the cop test, it's a 50 question multiple choice and true/false test that you can take in their TeamSpeak. Until you're cop-trained, you can only play as a Civilian or ESU. Watch some videos on YouTube to get the feel of the game. Also, read over the FFG rules since you will need to know them while playing.

I look forward to playing with you all!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:12:36 pm by Tom »

Quote from: John F. Kennedy
Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind.